Wednesday, July 23, 2008

To flash or not to flash...

Purchasing certain things after moving to Switzerland would be much more costly than getting them here. Okay, actually purchasing MOST things after the move will cost more. I'm actually starting to brainstorm a "stock up" shopping list for a trip to Target soon, hoping to bring with us little household items and medicines that will be hard to find there. But the big ticket items weighing on my mind right now are a telephoto zoom lens... I believe I have selected which one I'd like to buy, I just would like to find someone who has it in stock so I can try it before buying. And I'm considering two other things that I'm not sure I need: an add-on flash for my Rebel, and a camcorder. I hate flash photography so I generally shoot without it, bless the heart of whoever came up with image stabilization! But I know deep down that it also depends on having the right kind of flash and knowing how to use it. Should I go prepared or maybe just get it later (November) if I decide I need it? The camcorder isn't quite my style but I was thinking it might be fun for more selfish capturing of memories (rather than taking the pretty shots I usually try to entertain everyone with) and might convey even more of the experience to family and friends back at home. However I could just shoot little videos with my point and shoot digital camera. Like the great video of the street band in Lucca... such an easy thing to shoot but it's a precious memory captured perfectly.



If I buy the telephoto lens I have my eye on I will have room in my budget for both these things. But I'm just not sure I need to go there. Any thoughts? Maybe wait and get them when we're back in November if I feel they're needed?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Those guys make me want to get up and dance! Love it!

Kendra Armer said...

Hmm, not grand advice on now vs. later, but check out Keeble & Shucat in Palo Alto if you haven't already (kpphoto.com). They have a great selection of photo equipment and fantastic employees to help you pick the right stuff (Brad in particular is really helpful)!

MW said...

Really? Hmmm... I had avoided them because many Yelp reviews mentioned them being gear snobs who talk down at you. Soooo not the kind of thing I am in the mood to put up with. I think they'll have what I'm looking for though. So I should really go there. Thanks K!

Kendra Armer said...

I've only bought binoculars there, but my bro has bought lots of camera equipment there. He's kind of a gearhead though, so maybe they weren't talking down to him.... If you have some lenses in mind, they'd at least be a great place to try them out in person! GL!

Eileen said...

telephoto yes, and flash, see how much if it costs and think about if you can sell it if you don't end up using it. I love taking pics in low light (yay image stabilization, and tripods), but I don't love taking pics with flash, either.

v. excited about your move and looking forward to hearing about it! There's a whole litany of things that I can't get in Chile, and it all seemed so tragic at the beginning, but now with few exceptions, I do okay. Food's the main thing (no molasses! or real vanilla, things like that).