Tuesday, July 24, 2007

My moment of zen.

This seems like forever ago, but really it was just this morning. I managed to drag my sorry behind out of bed before 5 a.m. and drove with frosty windshield to the gym. My new work schedule keeps me away from my favorite spin class of the week, Tuesdays at 5 p.m., so I have to settle for Mondays at 5:30 a.m., whenever I can actually make it. I climbed onto my bike and started turning the peddles, hoping my body could be convinced it was awake.

The Monday morning regular, whose name I still don't remember, sitting on the bike next to me yawned as she peddled and stretched out her back. Even now just typing about that yawn I am falling for its contagiousness, so of course I did then too. We looked at each other and smiled. "It's funny how quiet it is in here," I said to her, "You can always when know when 6 a.m. is finally here because the class actually makes some noise."

She nodded in agreement and noted, "That must be when we all actually wake up." I mocked myself by pretending I didn't know where I was, "How did I get here? But oh! I'm halfway done with my workout!" My bike neighbor chuckled and we fell back into the silence of the room.

Class began, we peddled, we stretched, we climbed and the sweat poured down our backs and faces quietly. I zoned out a bit, pushed myself (as I should considering my recent lack of any weight loss and also my upcoming extended travel plans), and tried not to think about the slight growl in my stomach.

Suddenly a moment came when the music seemed louder and the beat seemed more uplifting. My pulse jumped instantly. Dave shouted his usual encouraging way and suddenly the class answered in an affirmative holler and one high pitched, "Wooooo!" The energy in the room had changed faster than you could even notice it happening.

My bike neighbor laughed for just a split second. I looked at the clock. 5:59 a.m.

I like it when class picks up like that. It gets me through the second half as my body starts to get tired. Somewhere in that second half of class Dave smiled that huge grin of his. "There is nothing in the world like doing what you love with people you love to do it with." I smiled too, not at anyone, and sort of to myself in the mirror. And then a moment of complete joy hit me, I really felt what he had just said. I was sweating and pushing myself to keep going, but I felt so good right then. I felt like a part of something. I felt like I was going somewhere. I felt strong, athletic, happy and peaceful.

That moment only lasted as long as it took for me to notice it. It is 16 hours later (my goodness!) and my eyelids are starting to droop and get heavy. But I keep thinking of that moment of feeling totally connected and yet independent all at the same time. It was one perfect moment, and it made my day. Good night.

No comments: